Thursday 1 September 2016

Lying In Wait by Liz Nugent
Release Date: 14th July 2016
Publisher: Penguin Ireland
Genres: Psychological Thriller / Crime

From the award-winning author of the No 1 bestseller, Unravelling Oliver

'My husband did not mean to kill Annie Doyle, but the lying tramp deserved it.'

Lydia Fitzsimons lives in the perfect house with her adoring husband and beloved son. There is just one thing Lydia yearns for to make her perfect life complete, though the last thing she expects is that pursuing it will lead to murder. However, needs must - because nothing can stop this mother from getting what she wants ...



https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27405729-lying-in-wait?from_search=true


I was lucky enough to meet Liz Nugent in Dublin in July and excitedly got her to sign my copy of the book! I'm a total author groupie. So, thank you Liz for that and for not being freaked out that I was being a bit gushy about the book!
 
This book has one of the best opening lines I have ever read. 'My husband did not mean to kill Annie Doyle, but the lying tramp deserved it.' The minute I read that I just knew I was going to love this book! From the outset, Liz Nugent is able to grab the reader by the shirt collars and drag them into the story and there's no point in putting up a fight because this book will totally hold you captive! I could not put it down. Told from the viewpoints of the 3 central characters, their lives become inexplicably intertwined in a deadly and dark manner.
 
Set in Dublin, the central characters are as interesting as they are complex and despite all their foibles and nuances I loved and hated them with equal measure. Lydia Fitzsimmons is a total control freak, mistaking absolute control of her husband and son for being the perfect wife and adoring mother. But, Lydia is never happy with her lot and pushing her husband into a 'business' arrangement with Annie Doyle was never going to end well with both Annie and her husband being mere pawns in Lydia's desire for perfection achieved at whatever cost. Her son, never allowed to grow up, constantly controlled and smothered by her love is also caught up in the murder of Annie Doyle but in the most unusual and unexpected way. For me, he was the character I felt most sympathy for. He was a victim of his mother. Plain and simple.

I don't want to give too much away in this review as there are so many twists and turns throughout this engrossing book. Its dark, disturbing and definitely a little creepy in places. The abusive and controlling relationships between the central characters make for an intriguing and sometimes surprising read. Throughout the book there was a real sense of foreboding and I had the entire thing read in one sitting desperate to find out what would happen. And, just when I thought the story couldn't get much better, the ending nearly blew my head right off! Can you tell that I liked this book? Definitely a highly recommended 5 star read! My first Liz Nugent book and definitely not my last!

NOTE: If you happen to be in Belfast on the 2nd September, Liz Nugent is attending an author event at No Alibis bookshop in Botanic Avenue at 6pm. Pop along and show your support. I'll be there!


https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lying-Wait-Liz-Nugent/dp/1844883639/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472640400&sr=8-1&keywords=lying+in+wait+nugent https://www.amazon.com/Lying-Wait-Liz-Nugent/dp/1844883639/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472641838&sr=8-1&keywords=lying+in+wait+liz+nugent 




- Copyright © 2013-2014 Brook Cottage Books - Powered by Blogger - Graphics & Blog Customization by JellydogDesign